Kybella is a prescription medicine and is FDA approved to be used in adults to improve the appearance and profile of moderate to severe fat below the chin, also called “double chin.” Most patients experience results in 2-4 treatments and the results are long-term.* Kybella causes the destruction of fat cells. Once destroyed, those cells cannot store or accumulate fat. After the result is achieved, retreatment with Kybella in not expected.
Kybella is an FDA approved non-surgical treatment for reducing moderate to severe submental fullness or “double chin”.
What is submental fullness?
Patients asking about their submental fullness may, at times, refer to it as their “double chin.” It is a common, yet undertreated facial aesthetic condition that can:
- Detract from an otherwise balanced and harmonious facial appearance
- Lead to an older and heavier look
- Impact a broad range of adults, including both women and men
- Be caused by aging, genetics and/or weight gain
How does Kybella work?
The active ingredient in KYBELLA® is deoxycholic acid, a naturally-occurring molecule in the body that aids in the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat.
When injected into the fat beneath your chin, KYBELLA®causes the destruction of fat cells. Once destroyed, those cells cannot store or accumulate fat.
The SkinScience Medical Staff will decide how many double chin treatments you need. Once the desired aesthetic response is achieved with KYBELLA®, retreatment is not expected.
How many double chin treatments will I need?
A consultation is required to determine if KYBELLA® is right for you and how many treatments will be needed to reach the desired response. Most clients require 2-3 treatments of 2-4 vials of KYBELLA®, but results can be seen even after 1 treatment.*
How often will I need to be treated?
Subsequent treatments are usually scheduled at least 1 month apart. Once the desired aesthetic response is achieved with KYBELLA®, retreatment is not expected.*
What can I expect after treatment?
As with any injection, the possibility of bruising does exist, but it is usually a limited amount. We take every precaution to minimize bruising to the site injected. After injection, you will most likely experience a moderate amount of swelling that will last a few days – during the first two days the swelling will be at its maximum and it will subside quickly after that. For most clients the swelling is not detrimental to their daily activities and can be disguised with a scarf. Most clients experience some numbness to the area that subsides quickly as well.*
You should not be pregnant, nursing an infant, have a history of bleeding disorder or infection of the area to be treated. The morning of your treatment, you should take ibuprofen if you are able to tolerate this medication. Also, you should tell your provider if you take any blood thinners or aspirin or have a history of any issue with lidocaine or epinephrine.
Kybella is an FDA approved cosmetic injection indicated for improvement in the appearance of submental fullness associated with submental fat in adults.
The results of Kybella are not immediate. At your first treatment visit you will receive a series of injections in the submental area. At the time of injection and for several days following the injections you will have swelling in the submental area. Kybella will cause the fat cells to diminish gradually over the course of the next month following your injection in the treated area. A series of treatments may be necessary to achieve optimal results and these will occur at no sooner than the one month interval. Your doctor will decide the appropriate number of treatment sessions and the amount of treatment sessions and the amount of Kybella you will need at each session.
Side Effects: Side effects of Kybella may include: bruising, swelling, numbness, induration, marginal mandibular nerve injury, dysphagia (difficulty swallowing), bleeding, tenderness or discomfort, tissue necrosis, hyperpigmentation, redness, or alopecia at the site of injection.
Alopecia: Kybella injection could cause small patches of alopecia in the treatment area.
• For most people, downtime with KYBELLA occurred most commonly after the first treatment session. • The most common side effects are swelling, bruising, pain, numbness, redness, and areas of hardness in the treatment area. These are not all the side effects of KYBELLA. Talk to your provider if you develop an asymmetric smile, facial muscle weakness, difficulty swallowing, or if any existing symptoms worsens.
• Redness/swelling is normal for a few days to a week. Real results can be expected at 4 weeks (after all swelling has resolved).
• Swelling is usually significant in the first couple of days to a week. Patients report looking like a
“bullfrog” with a lot of fluid in the skin under the chin. This is normal.
• Numbness is common for the first few weeks to month. Discomfort and tenderness to the touch is also common in that time frame.
• Do not rub the area treated. Do not massage the area.
• Gently clean the area twice daily with mild soap.
• Avoid irritants (glycolics, acid, retinoids, etc.) until all redness/swelling resolves.
• You may apply cool compresses/ice for 15 minutes/hour for comfort and to reduce swelling.
• Make-up may be used as long as skin is not broken or irritated.
• Avoid use of aspirin, St. John’s Wort, and high doses of vitamin E for one week. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories (ibuprofen) can be safely taken for discomfort.
• Avoid strenuous exercise and alcohol for 24 hours after treatment.
• Try to sleep upright, not on your side for the first 48 hours to take the pressure off your neck.
• Do not have major dental work (excluding routine cleanings) for 2 weeks after proposed injection procedure.
*Multiple injections under the chin per treatment, up to 6 treatments at least 1 month apart.
*Disclaimer: With KYBELLA® treatments, there is no guarantee of specific results and the results may vary.
Want to find out more about our treatments and services?
Simply fill out the form below or call our Naperville area office at (630) 791-9336.